ICE N' ROSES – COLOUR YOUR WINTER!
The Snow Rose varieties from the Ice N' Roses® ( Helleborus x glandorfensis) series owe their fascinating colours and robust nature to the fact that they are crosses between Snow Roses and Lenten Roses. More specifically, Ice N' Roses® is a cross between Helleborus x ericsmithii and a Lenten Rose (Helleborus x hybrida). Snow Roses and Lenten Roses were previously not considered to be crossable. The resulting varieties are extremely robust, long-lived and disease resistant. They thrive well even in sunny places and flower for an exceptionally long period of time with new blooms continuously replacing the aged ones. Some varieties of these Snow Roses start to flower as early as November (e.g. HGC® Ice N' Roses® Early Rose). The beautiful large blooms are carried high above the leaves and look you right in the eye. Colours range from deep red, rose and white to bicoloured varieties. The red varieties retain their colour for a long time after they stop blooming.
Whenever the first-time cross between two species generates a new species, it's the breeder's privilege to give it a name. The breeder of Ice N' Roses® named the new species Helleborus x glandorfensis to express his close ties with his home town of Glandorf in Lower Saxony.
- hardy, extra robust, evergreen perennial
- white, pink, red and even bicoloured flowers
- dark red flowers stay dark red as they age
- extra-large, upright flowers
- floriferous, some varieties starting to bloom in November
- thrives also in sunny spaces in the garden
- low-maintenance, vigorous garden plant, also suited for large planters